Still got the awe-inspiring view of the Canyon, the Painted Desert, and the gorge of the Colorado River. Nice warm day with clear skies.
The guide shared a ton of info with us and had a really nifty telescope type thing so we could actually see down to the people rafting on the river, an ancient cave dwelling on the canyon wall, and the small camp at the bottom of the canyon. Saw archaeological remains of the Hopi pueblos. On our way out the park we went through a part of the Navajo Indian reservation. Interesting to see the lifestyle there; many homes without electicity or running water.
A few factoids: The canyon is at least 10 miles wide - up to 18 in parts! And it is 277 river miles long.
Again, the distances we could see were mind-boggling.
Driving back to Flagstaff, it was noted how much the desert seems almost like a lunar landscape. And yet always in site were the mountains that still have a little bit of snow on them. I can see why the Indians held the snow-capped mountains sacred - a place worthy of pilgrimage.
Then we got back up into the Ponderosa pines as we again gained elevation into the 7k range.
Got back to the hotel and gave the bike a bath. Ready for 96 miles tomorrow.
The Grand Canyon surely is grand. Paul loved your blog about the kamikaze squirrel! Sounds like you are riding with mostly men. How many women on the ride? Great to read your blogs. You should write a book about your experience when you are done! xo Paul and Jenifer
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you spent your rest day wisely! I really want to go to the Grand Canyon, but I don't think I'll ride my bike there. The added pictures are great and I really love your posts. Keep up the great riding and writing. You make riding your bike through the desert sound enjoyable - I can't imagine it!
ReplyDelete