Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Oklahoma!

Well, now we are in the panhandle of Oklahoma! It was a relatively easy 73 miles today.
Straight roads, and the route was flat as a pancake. Less intense winds, but interesting gusts when the big trucks passed by.
We got a bit of a late start, due mostly to me discovering a little too late that I had a "hotel flat".
(That is the strange phenomenon of noticing a flat in the morning, when everything seemed fine the night before). I must have picked up the very small sharp object when off-roading a bit to get to the store with the chocloate milk yesterday for the end-of-ride recovery drink.
The legendary Jim Lyle also had a hotel flat, so he had to start out with us slackers. Jim is the retired chemistry professor that aboslutely kicks everyone's butt every day. He is so nice and soft-spoken about it, and he just can't help it, but he gets to the hotel hours before our group every day.
Anyhow, today the pressure was on us when he started out with us, so we kept a pace ~ 3mph faster than normal for us just to not let him down too much. Too funny. We joked with him that it was a bit of a relief when he joined another group at mile 19, so we could ease up a bit.

5 comments:

  1. Karen!!!

    Looks like youu are going great! We miss you, but are so proud of you and I am now watching your progress. Can I share the blog with all of the teams?

    Have a blast!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope my flag is getting a good ride! Keep on pedalin' and I will keep wishing I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your entries and still think you need to write a book. Your cohorts would make great reading material too! I was born in Oklahoma but really don't remember...guess it isn't that attractive but the photos of New Mexico sure are. Are you keeping your weight on or pedaling it off every day??? xoxo Paul and Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are keeping a tally of how many flats you have on the trip. It sounds like you are all still having fun 20 days in, ride on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - I thought I was a lengend only in my mind!

    ReplyDelete