Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lessons Learned

Title of this post could be "Things you thought I would've already learned by now", but I realize that could be a topic for a whole separate website!! Anyhow, as expected, the past few days have presented some learning opportunities.
1. Don't rush when re-assembling after stopping to fix a flat. Yes, the group is waiting for you, but really another 5 seconds to actually remember to zip up the seat wedge pack would be well worth it. Reasoning goes something like this: that spare plastic bag in there might suddenly fly out. And while that maybe doesn't sound too bad, here's how it played out: Ira and I suddenly hear from our buddies behind us: "IRA, STOP PEDALING NOW!!!" Yep, my bag had gone right into his cassette (rear cogs). What are the chances of that, really??? We were able to extricate the bag and no damage was done. And the amazing thing - Ira was willing to ride with me again the next day! These are good people, I tell you!
2. It really is a good idea to have a pair of tweezers in the tool kit - I put them in there as recommended and we found them very helpful to pull the staples out of the tire. (see Lesson 3).
3. Staples on the side of the interstate seem to be the thing that can puncture the tube through my Armadillo All Condition tires.
4. Sure, it is a good idea to have that packet of energy gel always there for emergency fuel needs, but I now know that it should be in a plastic bag. Apparently the packet can explode in extreme heat conditions. And that, my friends, was a sticky situation.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are having a fantastic time! Who knew riding day after day through desert heat could be fun. Keep up the great work. Glad your peddling pals are fun people. Keep that seat wedge zipped and have a great ride tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete