Friday, June 19, 2009

New York! / Niagara Falls!

"I just rode my bike to New York!" (Crazy little thought that hit me as we were taking photos of the sign at the State Line).


The weather eased up today for our ride from Erie, PA to Hamburg , NY. We just had some sprinkles in the morning. The 80-mile route took us through lovely areas that were green and lush. The route was pretty flat and the roads were quite smooth. Even though the winds picked up a little bit toward the end of the ride, a lot of us agreed that this was our easiest ride so far.
We were riding along the East side of Lake Erie for the first 60 miles or so. Riding for hours and realizing the lake is still right there on the left really gives some perspective as to how big the lake is! Saw a historical lighthouse along the shore of Lake Erie. Passed through quite a few vineyards in this area as well.
Along the route we saw two men riding a "loaded tour" (carrying all their gear in panniers and a bike trailer). We happened to catch up with them at a stop light so we got to chat with them. They are riding from Iowa to Maine. Nothing like talking to folks on an unsupported tour to make us look like wimps!!! Oh well, we're having fun.
Indeed, we got to the hotel in Hamburg fairly early so we decided to look into an idea that hit us at about mile 70 -- "let's go see Niagara Falls!" This was a last minute idea (imagine that, eh?) so Harry and I weren't able to rally anyone else. Most folks had already seen it, of course. Anyhow, we were able to get a rental car for the 30-mile drive and off we went. (I know, I know, we should have ridden our bikes, right)? We viewed it all from the New York side since I hadn't thought to bring my passport on a bike trip across the U.S.

The falls were breathtaking! Hearing the roar of the water and seeing the speed of the water leading up to the edge of the fall and getting a sense for the force of the water as it dropped over the edge was unlike anything I have seen (even with my exposure to the falls in Yosemite). My hopes for the excursion were exceeded, to say the least. After donning a stylish yellow plastic poncho and special sandals that are required, we got to go down by the base of the falls (via elevator) to the Cave of the Winds area. Feeling the cold spray of the water and feeling the strong winds generated by the flow of the water was absolutley fantastic. We got soaked!!!

So, I have seen the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls for the first time...all on the same vacation!!! How cool is that???

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! The falls sound great. Thank you for renting a car to get there; I would have fallen out of my chair I had read that you rode your bike the extra 30 miles. Oh, and I bet you didn't look like wimps on a fully supported bike tour, next to the "loaded tour" riders, I bet you looked smart.

    ReplyDelete