We made it to Boston! Dipped the front wheel in the Atlantic Ocean!!!
Harry then said something to the effect of "Alright then, I guess I'll be going home now" and walked out into the big pond as he waved goodbye.
We somehow managed to get him to come back. I think someone informed him there would be beer served at the banquet tonight.
Today was just an 18-mile ride. For the last 13 miles , we all rode together, in a 2x2 formation, taking the lane as the support vans led the way.
Sorry I didn't get this post published sooner - I had a bit of writer's block. I mean really, what do you say to acknowledge that the trip you have dreamed of for 20 years has been successfully completed???And that the trip far exceeded any expectations. And how do you communicate that the friendships forged are even more valuable than joy of riding the bike? And the appreciation for being fortunate enough to take this trip and to complete it safely....
For now, let me put it this way - IT WAS A TOTAL BLAST!!!!!
I will perhaps get a little more eloquent when I get back home. For now, my deepest thanks to all my fellow riders. The way we all knew we had the support of each other across the country was incredible! You all made the trip for me!
Of course this trip wouldn't have happened without the fabulous CrossRoads staff: Tracy, Larry, Mack, Margaret, and Rick. Professionalism always, and work done from the heart - fabulous!
I am also indebted to all of you folks back home -- your supportive comments along the way did wonders to keep me going in the times of desert heat, wind, rain, potholes, and even the chest cold at the very end.
The photo above shows me next to the map on the final day. Notice the glove tan line ?
If you have been curious as to what the guardian dog and the aquarium loked like, here's your answer - they came to the celebration banquet. Since nobody replied with a guess as to the dog's name, I will have to tell you. It is Boston. :) The thing that looks like a Q-tip is just his celebration bone. Good boy Boston - job well done. (Yes, all those folks who said we were crazy to ride our bikes across the country - you are right - but only because really we are crazy anyhow). No regrets on the transcontinental ride!
The photo below is a peek at the flags we were carrying - the top orange one was for safety. Other stuff got added on, mostly for ceremonial or sentimental reasons. The flags with other riders names were for those riders who had the shorter trip planned but wanted to at least go to Boston with us in spirit - something we were happy to do, as they were definitely in our thoughts the whole way. From left to right, they belonged to Harry, me and Ira. Yep, the Brit had the most American flags.
Since I don't need to thank the Academy, I will go straight to thanking the folks back at the office. (Hopefully I still have a job there!!??) So, last, but certainly not least, a huge Thank You to everyone at Burger Rehab!! The support from Shawn and Mike in allowing me to take the time off for this sabbatical was incredible!!! And I am deeply grateful to the entire team of the Folsom Clinic - your support and willingness to step-up to help out in so many ways while I went away is remarkable. A truly awesome team!!
One last thing for now --- my bike performed flawlessly!! Zero mechanical issues! And with only 4 punctures (as I now call them), the Armadillo tires served me well. The bike never had to get on the mechanic's stand until it was time to get packed up to get shipped home! Wow! Guess that mechanic back home was right - the bike was the last thing I needed to worry about. :) Bike shown below all stripped down and getting it's last bath before getting packed up. Wow - what an incredible bike ride we just had!
JeniferMt summed it up perfectly! We too are so proud of you.
ReplyDeleteThe Parents